Friday, February 19, 2016

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose....or maybe not

Hello. My name is Laura and I am not a fan of roses.
That's a hard thing to admit as a florist, but admitting your problem is the first step to recovery, right?

And I AM in recovery. For years- rather decades, roses were simply a stock item. A flower to send on Valentines, anniversaries or other special occasions. Red, yellow, pink and white for weddings. Pretty pedestrian and ordinary; the scent of old roses in the garden was all but gone and often the blooms didn't open. "Bullets" we called them. The thorns were an added exclamation, making a run-of-the-mill flower also a pain- literally.

My rehabilitation began upon my returning to the floral industry. It began with my first trip to the wholesaler when I noticed bundles wrapped in corrugated cardboard. Odd. When I looked inside, I was amazed at the color, the fragrance and the fact that these roses were OPENING! Joy! I made note of the name Rosaprima. I immediately began ordering from this particular grower when I could- on occasion they are unavailable due to their sustainable growing practices. I am now, dare I say it, in LOVE with roses. Rosaprima roses, that is.


Grown in the Andes Mountains, these roses are unique. Most varieties have large blooms, due to the amount of petals- twice your average rose. Their colors are amazing, but the real attraction is their longevity. Opening slowly and fully, these roses last for more than a week. I have been known to keep some in my cooler for 3 weeks for weddings for that full open look.

So, a rose is not always a rose...sometimes they are VERY special.



1 comment:

  1. I too was not a fan of florist roses. I loved the old fashioned and heirloom roses you find in old gardens but most florist roses were, well, just blah! Then you gave me that great special that day on the Rosaprimas and I fell in love. The fragrance was beautiful and the roses lasted over two weeks with regular water changes and trimmings. I loved them!

    ReplyDelete