Monday, October 26, 2015


Welcome to Laura Jane's Flowers....

So in the words of Julie Andrews, "Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." Let's see. It started with an art show. At the time I was a 16 year old high school student who spent most of her time in the art room or the printing room. Watercolor was my current interest and my work was being featured in a small art exhibit. A local woman saw my work; mostly florals, and somehow thought- "She could work at the flower shop!" How you make that assumption, I don't know, but I am glad she did.
I began working during school at the local florist two hours each school day for school credit. Anything past that, I got paid for. YES!!!! Ironically, two years before- in another state, I had approached a relative about working in her mothers flower shop. I was told (rather bluntly) that I didn't have what it takes. After one day working with flowers- I and my boss realized, they were wrong. Designing came easy and when I graduated I became the Asst. Manager of the shop.
Over the years I have worked at over a dozen different kinds of floral/design business'. Always learning more, gaining experience by working with some of the most creative people in the country. And then a decision...I quit.
Now married and expecting our first child, Jim and I decided that being a mother was going to be a full-time vocation for me. Medical issues made this my one chance, and I wanted to give it all I had. Occasionally I did holiday work or a friend's wedding; but for the most part my floral career was over. Or so we thought. Fast forward ....uh...let's just say a looooong time.
Jim had been a successful facilities manager with the same company for 36 years. His career afforded us travel, a good salary and the ability for me to be a full-time stay-at-home mom. It was a good life. Sadly the company was sold and the business took a new direction. It was time for a change. Jim had always mentioned opening up our own business. I had always said "No"- usually with colorful metaphors accompanying. But this time it was different. Our house was paid for, our son was grown and I longed for an outlet for my creativity.
"Let's open a flower shop!" my wonderful husband suggested and in a moment of weakness, I said yes. I never thought, "Can I still do it?"- at least not until the papers were signed. Then the fear set in. Surprisingly, the first time I picked up a floral knife again, it was as if I had never left the business. It was there, the knowledge, the skills, the color sense and balance- just as if I had never left.
And so here we are. Laura Jane's Flowers & Gifts in Adairsville, GA
To say it is a wild ride would be an understatement. In addition to a full-service florist, we also have vintage furniture and repurposed decor; which means many picking trips and hours spent in auctions.  Jim handles the bookkeeping and store management; I design, do marketing and purchasing. We work side by side- which is interesting, challenging, stressful and entirely wonderful. It is truly the adventure of a life-time.
We invite you to follow along by visiting us- at the shop or virtually here as we recount our adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment